ThreeGraces

My multiple personalities are all named Grace. I aspire to be like Grace Kelly the Princess of Monaco, regal and respected. But most days I am more like Gracie Allen, the comedienne wife of George Burns. Her greatest strength was playing the ditz, a role I relish. And days that I pull on my black leather chaps and wrap my arms 'round my husband to cruise on the Harley, I feel like Grace Slick, female rocker and all around bad-mamma-jamma.

Friday, September 10, 2004

Starting my blog

Reading others' blogs has been fascinating, edifying, humbling and hilarious. After months of absorbing from them, I thought perhaps it was time that I contributed to the mix. Besides, what better way to feed my fault of "inappropriate disclosure" than through blogging?

I get my talkative nature from both of my parents. My brother says that my childhood vaccination was with a phonograph needle (a reference lost on those who don't know about real record players). But my storytelling penchant is from my dad. I remember as a child listening from my upstairs bedroom as Dad would spin tales with friends around the dining room table. The joy of making others laugh and guffaw was infectious, and I wanted to be able to make my friends smile in the same way.

It seems I have a story for everything. On each Forensics/Debate trip after talking incessantly about something or other, I would tell students that I was all out of stories. Sure enough, five minutes later something reminded me of another story I could share. When it comes to work, I'm most productive at home alone because once I'm in the office, talking with anyone and everyone in the hallway occupies my time.

As I've matured (?), I've tried to pay more attention to the reactions that my stories (and my mere presence, for that matter) elicit from others. I've tried to be careful not to enter the game of one-ups-man-ship, vying for the spotlight, or the perception of both. However, since every story reminds me of one I could tell in turn, this is difficult. I'm still struggling with reading people to know when to talk and when they've had enough of my blather.

Therefore, one problem for me with the idea of blogging is not being able to see the immediate response from those who are hearing the story. How can I gauge the reaction? When is enough enough? And if I thrive on the immediate and tangible responses of others' laughter or tears, what is the payoff for a blog?

I was just speaking with friend Kristy O. who shared her thoughts on this subject: "Sure, we theatrical and communication types thrive with an audience. But the fact that Christians claim the cross means that the purpose of our storytelling should not be merely the enjoyment of the audience reaction, it should be something bigger than that. Even if only one person is entertained, you meet them where they are from where you are."

My conclusion is that this blog has to be for my own purposes. I write so I may explore, contemplate, document, and put into writing the things that matter or that simply pop into my head today. Hopefully, writing will provide some entertainment as well as illumination for my growth. And just possibly it will do the same for a reader or two.

Grace to you.


3 Comments:

  • At 12:55 AM, Blogger ThreeGraces said…

    just testing

     
  • At 1:11 AM, Blogger Peeved Michelle said…

    My blog is going on two years old and it contains nothing so virtuous or self-actualizing as that for which you are aiming. It is mainly an inventory of all the things that irritate me and occasionally some of my friends, but one of the greatest benefits is the historical accounting of minutiae. I am fascinated by the details of peoples' lives including my own.

     
  • At 6:23 PM, Blogger Kay Martin said…

    Hope you will post again. I loved your insight into learning to be sure your stories were timed right for the people who are listening. I'm an avid storyteller also. I'm focusing on becoming a passionate listener. I have swallowed more great lines than I can count. That's when I know I'm making progress; when I swallow them with no need to share them. Listening to my friends talking is more important. I am trying my hand at blogging: ttp://thrivechristian.blogspot.com/

     

Post a Comment

<< Home