ThreeGraces

My multiple personalities are all named Grace. I aspire to be like Grace Kelly the Princess of Monaco, regal and respected. But most days I am more like Gracie Allen, the comedienne wife of George Burns. Her greatest strength was playing the ditz, a role I relish. And days that I pull on my black leather chaps and wrap my arms 'round my husband to cruise on the Harley, I feel like Grace Slick, female rocker and all around bad-mamma-jamma.

Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Gallivanting...

I have wanderlust.

I have Gypsy blood.

I want to pack up a few precious belongings and hit the road.

I want to live for a year to feel each season in New York City. In Savannah. In Coeur d'Alene. In London. In Edinburgh. Outside Rome. In Jerusalem. My life is too short to live everywhere I want to.

This weekend I went home to PA for my brother's birthday. As I whizzed by at 75 mph on the Ohio Turnpike, I noticed two Amish men working their farm. How do they do it? How do people live their whole lives in one place? How do they work daily beside a highway and never take it wherever it goes? Do they ever have the urge to cross the field and flag down a car and just go to.... to ANYwhere? I haven't traveled much, but I can't for the life of me imagine not having the option... or more accurately, not having the desire for the option.

One of my first nicknames was "Gypsy." Our neighbor and my dad's best friend was Sam. When I was about 4 or 5... back when neighborhoods seemed smaller and safer... he was cutting the grass out front and saw me skipping by. When he went to the backyard, I was traipsing down the alley. When he returned to the front to water plants, I walked by again with a great sense of purpose. Where I was going or what I was doing, no one could tell. He told my folks that they had a real Gypsy on their hands. I have been gallivanting... or wanting to gallivant... ever since.

When I read Huckleberry Finn, I immediately wanted to cut down trees and rope a raft together. From the end of my street you could see the Beaver River. I knew it flowed into the Ohio. I got a map and figured I could float down the Beaver to the Ohio to the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico. My mother said it wouldn't work. There were locks on the rivers and they wouldn't let a lashed-log boat through. That didn't stop me from daydreaming about it every day for an entire summer.

When I read Little House on the Prairie, I wanted to cross the country in a Conestoga wagon. A few years later, during our country's Bicentennial celebration, a group of reenactors did exactly that. When they came through our town I nearly ran away... not to join the circus, but a traveling group of covered wagon riders.

My dream came true in 2001 when Tom and I took our RV to Alaska and back. We christened it the Gypsy Chateau (Chateau being the oh-so-fab name of the manufacturer). I was Laura Ingalls Wilder in a modern Conestoga!

God knew what he was doing having me born in this era. I never could have hacked it without my own, private toity.

Showered in His grace,



2 Comments:

  • At 11:47 PM, Blogger Redbaerd said…

    for years i've been going on and on about how the world is divided into gypsies and farmers...and i'm a gypsy...and how *do* those farmers manage to survive...

    but is it a surprise that to know that I'm the male version of [hmm, he thinks about how to refer to the author of this blog in this somewhat more public space...and then chooses the safe answer which somewhat tarnishes the ongoing inside joke...] three graces...

     
  • At 3:18 PM, Blogger ThreeGraces said…

    That was SOOO my favorite Cher song! But.... are you inferring that I'm a tramp?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home